External HD Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HeyKatie, Mar 19, 2014.

1. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot! Every since I update to Mavericks my Iomege HD hasn't been working I keep getting error 36 and error 50 if I try to copy or delete files. I currently have 318.61GBs that I can't even access! I've tried going to disk utility and repairing and it still won't work, is there anyway for me to get my data off the drive? My brother said I might have ruined the drive from erasing it so many times trying to get it to work.

2. TheBSDGuy macrumors 6502

Check to see if Iomega has updated drivers (kernel extensions, typically,) assuming you're using them. Both Mavericks and Mountain Lion had a lot of problems with third party drives because they switched from 32 to 64 bit EFI (extensible firmware interface) and the manufacturers didn't, or they took their time getting around to fixing it.

If that doesn't work, try Scannerz because it does a whole host of tests that might indicate problems other applications on the market simply don't test. The link for that product is:

http://scsc-online.com/Scannerz.html

Fifty bucks says it's the drivers. I'd also do a web search looking for other such problems. Scannerz is a great product but I wouldn't buy it if I were you without first checking for updated drivers.

Hope this helps!

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Important questions:
    Can you connect the drive to ANOTHER Mac?
    If that option is available, does the drive mount on the other Mac?

If so, my advice is to connect a different drive, and copy everything off of the Iomega drive onto the new drive. (a fast way to do that is to use CarbonCopyCloner, which is free to download and use for 30 days)

Then, take the Iomega drive back to the Mavericks Mac, and re-initialize it using HFS+, GUID partition format. DO NOT use any other type of formatting (such as Fat32, etc.)

As to what to use for another drive, I'd suggest buying a USB3/SATA docking station (can be had for $20-25) and a "bare" drive (these days, 2.5" hard drives are fine).

Put the drive into the dock, connect it to the Mac, initialize it using Disk Utility, and you're ready to go.