External HD Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmac89, Mar 18, 2009.

1. cmac89 macrumors newbie

Hey new here and I have tried google and every search means necessary to try and find the answer to my questions.

I have a SimpleTech mini external drive for my Macbook as Time Machine backup and storage and it has worked fine until today.

When i plug it in it wont automatically show my files i have to leave the Finder open and then it shows the main folders. To see any files I have to click the particular folder and again leave it open for the files to load. This is usually about a 5 minute or longer (depending on how many files are in that folder) wait. Obviously not normal.

I thought well I can run Disk Utility to see if it can be repair but when I do that it gets an error and says the disk is unmountable even though I havent opened anything from drive.

I have just about given up and any advice would be helpful!

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Format the hard drive, if that does not solve the problem try and use the hard drive with another computer and check if it is still slow.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could try using a more powerful tool than DU like Techtool or Diskwarrior, but in my experience the symptoms you describe have all been due to bad drives.

4. cmac89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am hesitant to format because I have important files on there. :-/

I will see if I can try those.

I'm so sad. lol
    :(

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110