External HD - how to hide "2ac1d090f0640.." and such folders??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jon08, Jul 12, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

Ok it really annoys me that folders named "2ac1d090f064006c81da9c", "$RECYCLE.BIN" and whatnot that keep appearing anew and polluting my WD external HD. You know, even if you delete them they will keep reappearing with each new restart.

Is there a way to at least make these folders invisible if not deleting them??

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you're not using it on a Windows machine, reformat it for OS X.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do use that external HDD on a Windows computer?

That would explain the Recycle bin folder.

The other folders seem to be temporary creations by an archiving/unpacking utility, but I'm not so sure about that.

If you can't see files like .DS_store in every folder of your Macintosh computer, the system files are already hidden.

4. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I do use my external HD occasionally in Windows to transfer certain games from the HD to Windows, but that's about it as far as Windows is concerned.

Is there really not a way to fix this?:confused:

5. johnsy macrumors 6502

It is normal. i had some weird name files sitting in my trash bin on mac side. Couldn't remove them and trash bin had full status all the time. The problem was windows virtual machine on vmware fusion. If you switch between mac and windows all the time, this is normal.

6. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, but my question is: how to hide these files? It's annoying because they are making a mess on my HD and it makes the folders look disorganized because folders ""2ac1d090f0640.." and such are mixed among them...

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is no option to hide them, as they are no Mac OS X system files, and Mac OS recognizes them as normal files/folders, like Windows recognizes Mac OS' system files/folders without hiding them, even when Mac OS hides them.