External HD & Imovie '09

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Big Shisha, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Big Shisha macrumors member

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an external USB Hd as a scratch disk for imovie 09?
    I know it's possible to transfer the files after they have been imported, but I'm not sure if you can set it up to import straight to the external HD.

Thanks in advance

2. pilotrtc macrumors regular

It is recommended to use a scratch disk (7200 RPM) because of the wear and tear on the hard drive from scrubbing back and forth through the video.

To get the video to the external, open iMovie 09 and, in the event library, click the icon on the right to view events by disk. Then drag your videos to the external.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

Yes, I do this with no issues.

In fact, I am currently tackling a project to encode all of my MiniDV tapes onto a 1.5TB external connected via USB 2.0.

4. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

I'm doing the same thing right now! When I plug my camera in and click the import button iMovie asks you what you want to name the new event, and what hard drive to save it as. I am currently using a mybook external firewire drive to store all my video footage.

5. trekmedics macrumors newbie

I'm using MyBook too, but i have a little exclamation point over that won't let me add anything by dragging, though it automatically updates it in mybook regardless.

Anyone know what that exclamation point is telling me, and how i get rid of it so i can just work directly out of mybook, and not my hd?

thanks

6. ryanflanders256 macrumors newbie

Is your HD formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" or something else? (such as FAT32).

You can check this by opening Applications > Disk Utility and click on the drive.

If you're having problems, BACK UP YOUR STUFF FIRST and then reformat the drive as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Obviously, reformatting will erase everything.