External HD issues...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by k33bl3r, Sep 21, 2010.

1. k33bl3r macrumors newbie

I have always had a PC, and recently acquired an iBook G4, which I use the most because it is portable (duh) and my PC is not.

I also have a 1tb external that I have been using to backup my PC, and was hoping that I could use it to backup the iBook as well.

So, I asked my husband to see how I could access and write to the external in both PC and Mac. It wasn't impossible, but was difficult. So, I decided to have him transfer everything off of it, onto his external, and then format it to Mac and then transfer everything back onto my external.

Now, the external won't be recognized on Mac, and I can't access it at all on Windows. I have over 300gigs worth of files that I would die if I lost on the external.

Is there any way to fix this so it will just work on the PC again, without losing everything? I, of course, realize that this question is more of a PC based one, since I eventually want the external to work properly on the PC, but since it was formatted for Mac I figured there might be something different to do than if I were formatting it from PC to Mac.

2. RonYosafi macrumors member

RonYosafi

Download NTFS For mac

You didnt need to format it, all you needed to do was download ntfs for mac and install it. then you can move files to it.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

more specifically, download NTFS-3G for your mac and install it. it is an add on that allows OSX to write to NTFS formatted drives :)

i presume its running Tiger or Leopard?