External HD Keeps going to sleep after SL upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adamlbiscuit, Oct 15, 2009.

1. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

Its by no means a show stopping issue at all, but its just a matter of preference that I don't want my external HD to keep falling asleep after 5/10 mins of inactivity. It means that every time I try to search for files or open certain applications, theres a big delay while the HD wakes up again. Plus I don't want to wear my HD out with the constant spinning up and down.

I've tried turning off the "put hard disk(s) to sleep when inactive" option in System preferences but its had no effect. There isn't no switch or anything on the HD itself to toggle sleep mode. So I'm at a loss as to what to do to change the sleep setting.

Can anyone help?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I had this issue with a Seagate USB drive (under Leo) and had to download a utility from Seagate to disable. That was some time ago and I don't recall the details. This was a Time Machine volume on my AEBSn, so when it went to sleep TM couldn't find it. Quite annoying.

3. adamlbiscuit thread starter macrumors regular

Mines a Maxtor Basics HD, and I cant seem to find a utility for it. When Time Machine kicks in, the HD wakes and it does its backup, doesn't give me any error message, so thats not too much of a problem. Its just when I so much as right click on an item on the dock while its sleeping, it freezes for a while while the HD wakes up (why the HD feels it has to wake up when i right click on a dock item I don't know. . . )