External HD Mac & PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nmals23, Apr 25, 2007.

1. nmals23 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for an external HD that I can use to transfer files between my PC and my Mac -- however I can only find ones that require a third party software to make the jump.

Are there any External HD's that will work like large thumb drives (I don't seem to have the compatibility problem when I use my thumb drive) i.e. transfer files from one computer to another without needing extra software?

I'd also like to share pics between multiple computers (both Mac and PC) without needing a huge set up.

Anyway, any suggestions?? I'm a newbie here, so anything will help. :)

Best,
    -nm

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

You could always get a NAS drive, that should be accessible by both your Mac and PC.

3. Thi macrumors member

What is your current setup op? I know with my mbp I can access it with my pc and mbp. The drive has to be format Fat32 I believe, I don't think Macs can access NTFS. I'm also in the market for an upgrade. Have you checked out the esata capable HD? The transfer speed is much faster than USB 2.0 & Firewire 800. You can find a 500g Seagate Free Agent Pro online for ~$200 or the WD MyBook Pro. I would get the Seagate for the 5 yr warranty.

4. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm probably not the best person to ask concerning this subject, but my Maxtor OneTouch III (300GB) works great between PCs and Macs in my household and at my school.

NickD

5. The General macrumors 601

Any external harddrive will work. Open Disk Utility and format it as "MS-DOS format" or whatever, that is FAT32.

Then Mac OS X and Windows can read/write it.

6. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I was actually wondering about this too, thanks!

7. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

FAT32 is not the answer.

Format the drive HFS (journaled) and buy MacDrive software. ;)

8. HercGuy macrumors newbie

.trashes folders

I have an external HDD and a 1GB thumb drive that go with me on the road and to work. I was wondering if there is anyway to prevent those hidden folders (.Trashes and such) from generating?

9. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Is there a Wireless NAS box? my house is all wireless. :) :) :) :)