External HD + Movies + Multiple Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JungleNYC, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JungleNYC macrumors member

I have a pretty robust movie and video collection, and it's all on an external HD, currently plugged into my MacPro.

I also have an Xbox one, and I've been using SofaPlay to play movies on it. And it works great. You just drag/drop movies onto the app, and it plays.

But my MacPro is not in the same room as my Xbox.

But I also have a MacBook, and I'd love to be able to do the same thing from the couch: drag movies onto the app, and have them play on the TV. Because I'm lazy :D

But obviously I don't want to have to plug the HD into my MacBook. Kind of defeats the purpose.

I know I can do "screen sharing" etc, to control my MacPro from my Macbook, but that seems like a hack to me.

…is there a way to, maybe, plug my External HD into my TimeCapsule, or FIOS router to allow the movies to be accessible from my Macbook AND my MacPro? If so, would the USB connection be too slow?

In other words: is there another way to make these movies accessible to more than one computer, through my home network?

There seems there should be a way to make this HD w/ movies on it "universally accessible." Is it possible?

2. satcomer, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You seem to be a prime example to get NAS like the ones from Synology. This way you could have a central location to hare your movies/music plus your own private cloud drive.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I have a 6th generation AirPort Extreme with an attached USB 2.0 hard drive and it does the deed perfectly.

4. JungleNYC thread starter macrumors member

I have an APE. But I also have a FIOS router and a Time Capsule. Would any of them work for this? Or just the APE?

Thanks for your answer.