External HD (MyBook 500gb) failed - also time machine drive!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bpm2000, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bpm2000 macrumors newbie

So I was an idiot and for some reason I made my Time Machine drive the same as the one I have all my music on.

In retrospect, of course the one I have music on is going to be spinning and reading/writing all the time - why did I put it as the Time Machine drive!??!:mad:

Anyways, I was wondering what kind of recovery options I might have? The drive makes these annoying clicking noises when I turn it on. The drive doesn't mount, but shows up under disk utilty as an external drive of some sort. It is definitely messed up though because its a 500gb drive and the disk utility thinks its 2TB. Googling shows that clicking = head failure? Verify and recover/repair are not highlighted options for this drive...

How does Time Machine back up files? Is it consolidated into one file, that I might be able to recover, and put on another drive or do I need to worry about recovering all my files instead of just the Time Machine portion?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thx!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think your music is probably a lost cause, unless you spend $$$ on data recovery, but it probably won't work to well with Music.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

If its clicking your in trouble, I have seen data get off these drives but rarely by a consumer. Try Data Rescue II, our shop uses it for drives that we cant get back with the standard Apple Utilites: http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

If that does not work you can contact DriveSavers if your really desperate to get the music back, they cost a lot though, but they are really good. http://www.drivesavers.com/

4. bpm2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

afraid to ask, but how much is "a lot"?

thx for the suggestions

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Varies by drive size and the damage, it can be anywhere from $500 to $2000, your best bet is to find a dealer who deals with them(They will have pamphlets with a store number and referral code), cause often they offer a discount, and will often not charge an "attempt" fee, which means u wont get charged as much if nothing can be taken off the drive.