External HD not Bootable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivnj, Oct 11, 2010.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

I used a program called carbon copy cloner to make a clone of my father's mac book pro onto an external hd usb. I already erased the laptop so I can't go back too it for another copy so I'm stuck.

Anyhow, all the data copied over nicely. However it said it will make the drive bootable. But it does not. I partitioned GUID so it should boot cuz intel macs can boot usb if partitioned GUID. But it won't boot on the macbook pro intel or my mac mini intel. Both core duo (not 2 duo). And I can't reinstall because the dvd is 10.5.0 and we have 10.5.8 on the external.

Unless there is a way to remove 5.8 and go back to zero but I don't hink so. I did Disk first aid and it says the drive is fine. It is brand new. And it won't let me verify or repair permissions. Don't know what to do.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can use the 10.5.0 disc to reinstall OS X. Then just run Software Update to update it to 10.5.8.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How did you try to boot from the external?

What about installing Mac OS X 10.5.0 onto the internal HDD of the MBP, then update the system via Software Update and use the Migration Assistant to get important data from the external HDD?

And you can't remove the . .8 version to downgrade to 10.5.0, except you reinstall Mac OS X.

What about an Archive and Install, if you really need the system on the external HDD?

Btw, when booted from the Restore DVD and using Utilities > Startup Disk, does the external HDD show?
    [​IMG]

4. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

I already installed snow leopard on the laptop so no that doesn't work. I wanted 10.5 to be able to run some things that snow doesn't handle. I wanted to upgrade so I won't loose any of the files and settings.

But migration assistant is a good guess I'll try that thanks. I made a another backup on a firewire drive and erase the usb and install 10.5 and update to 10.5.8. Then I'll try migration assistant and see if that helps.

Thanks for the idea. I'll reply if that doesn't work. But that is a good start for now.