Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksd20039

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
USA
I have 3 external hard drives that I have recently reformatted on my Intel iMac as OS X Journaled extended. All of them are Firewire with one also having USB2. They all mount on my iMac, but when I attempt to mount them on my G4 iBook they won't. Only the one with both Firewire and USB will and only when both cables are connected. I have never had this problem until I reformatted the HD's the other day. I have checked the ownership permissions and do not think it is a faulty firewire port. Both macs run osx 10.4.11 and I am fairly knowledgeable with OS X, but can't figure this one out. One HD is still empty and the other two are almost full as I am cleaning out the computers and preparing to reformat them. Any suggestions?

ksd20039

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
USA
Are you trying to merely mount them on the iBook's desktop or are you trying to boot from them?
Just mount them to the desktop. Eventually I will install linux on one of them but that will be some other time.

ksd20039

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
USA
Okay, and are they even recognised in Disk Utility? No, it doesn't recognise it so there's no option to mount it from DU.
Is the iBook plugged into the power adaptor at the time? Yes

I attempted to reformat the empty on in MS-DOS, but still nothing on my iBook and the it's fine on the iMac.

ksd20039

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
USA
Did they ever work on the iBook? Do other drives work on it?
Yes, everything always worked fine. I've never had a problem until now. Somehow I feel that the problem is coming from reformatting them all on the iMac, but I'm not certain.

ksd20039

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
USA
I have used the iBook with the external drives all semester without problem. But since cleaning them up this week, now they won't mount.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Intel mac uses DIFFERENT PARTITION SCHEME than PPC macs.

Intel: bootable with GUID Partition Table
PPC: bootable with Apple Partition Map

Unfortunately not compatible. You probably have GUID as partition scheme for your externals since you formatted them on your intel mac.

Apple Partition Map can mount on all Macs. To format it that way using intel mac, select drive in Disk Utility, go to Partition / Options... / Apple Partition Map

ksd20039

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
USA
Thanks guys, I was not aware of the options for partitioning. I never had reason to partition a hard drive for OS X, so I never used the partitioning option in Disk Utility, only the Erase option. Unfortunately, after checking it with my empty HD, it still will not mount of the PPC, so I will take both the iBook and an external HD to an Apple store in the morning and see what they say. I will post the outcome for any future problems like this one.

ksd20039

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
USA
Thanks guys, I was not aware of the options for partitioning. I never had reason to partition a hard drive for OS X, so I never used the partitioning option in Disk Utility, only the Erase option. Unfortunately, after checking it with my empty HD, it still will not mount of the PPC, so I will take both the iBook and an external HD to an Apple store in the morning and see what they say. I will post the outcome for any future problems like this one.

It is a bad FireWire port. Odd, since it stopped working right after the HD reformatting.

ksd20039

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
USA
Try a different FW cable. When a connection does not work, the port isn't always the problem.:)

I brought the iBook to an Apple store and they confirmed the bad FW port. I will network the iBook and iMac when I need to transfer data on my external drive for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.