external hd "not readable by this computer"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mrbarlow, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Mrbarlow macrumors newbie

Hello all;
    I have a 13" macbook running 10.4.9. When I bought the machine last year, I also purchased a seagate 250 gb external hardrive, which I used with no problems for about six months. Then one day when I plugged it in it said"The disk inserted is not readable by this computer". I have probably about 30 gigs of photos and music in there, and some of it isn't anywhere else, so I don't want to just reformat the drive.
    Any ideas?:(

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Did you try plugging it into a different computer? Did you use it in between or just let it sit on a shelf. That's odd that it'd suddenly stop working.

3. Mrbarlow thread starter macrumors newbie

I was using it quite a bit, backing up my itunes purchases about once a week and putting photos on it as well, then one day, it was "not readable"! Really bummed me out. I have not tried plugging it into another computer, but I will take it to work with me and see what happens. I'll post the results. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Mrbarlow thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so I finally got a chance to plug the drive into another mac, and also a pc, and it gives the same message"this disk not readable by this computer". Can anyone recommend good data recovery software? Is diskwarrior the way to go? It's the only recovery software I've heard of. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.:confused:

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Try going to Disk utility and repairing the disk to see if that fixes it.