External HD on iMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrcsh6, Apr 15, 2010.

1. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

I'm needing to add a hard drive for more backing up of info. I currently have a Lacie 250 Porsche. I want a 2TB and have looked at the Poulton, Starck and Grand from Lacie. Upon some reading there are issues people are having with older Mac's. I just wanna be sure that if I get one it'll work. and running 10.4.11. Any experience?

before anyone asks, i like the lacie designs, i'd rather have a nice looking box next to my nice looking computer. i want 2tb as i have a lot of stuff to do with final cut and a new project will use up chunks at a time. AND whenever apple gives us blu ray on the big quad core imac or this dinosaur dies off i'll want a lot of space to keep a mirror of the hd.

2. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I'm not sure what the inside of a LaCie style enclosure look like, but if it's possible to consider putting another drive inside one of the styles you like, I'm a huge fan of the Western Digital Caviar Green series HDDs. They're very quiet (silent to me even during data transfer) and they're extremely power efficient. You should be able to pull them up on Newegg.

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'm sorry, but can you expand on the problems that you've heard about?

I have an iMac G5 and can't say I've really had any problems with any external disks that were the fault of the Mac. Sure, I've had a few that died, but that's not Mac-related.

Note, since I've been burned by disk failure a few times now, everything I do now is Software Raid.

Back to the OP's main question, I haven't seen an external disk that hasn't worked. There's no reason for any particular drive to not work.

4. jrcsh6 thread starter macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

i've read issues about the drives not showing up at all. i went ahead and ordered though so hope it works. if not they have a good return policy.

got a 2tb lacie grand for 150$