External HD on wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EricHigley, Jun 5, 2011.

1. EricHigley macrumors newbie

So I just switched over from PC, new to Mac and have a quick question. I have a new Macbook Pro 15", a netgear WNR3500L router, and a Lacie 2TB hard drive by Neil Poulton. The hard drive is brand new and has nothing on it. My router has a USB port on the back and I have plugged the hard drive into it. How do I get my mac to see this hard drive? It doesn't show up when I go into finder>network. I have attached the hard drive directly to the mac and formatted under disk utility. I have tried both GUID and the other apple format but to no avail. Any ideas?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First thing you need to do is get into that router and SHARE that connected drive. Open System Preferences->Network pane, Advanced button, TCP/IP: tab. Copy down or memorize the router's IP address and put that IP address in the Address bar of your browser (and then click on the enter(return) button). Once the Netgear's username/password comes up consult this Netgear Knowledge article for the username password. Once in the router go through it's settings to make sure that router sees that connected drive and it is sharing that drive on your network.

Once you verify the router is sharing it's connected drive, on the Mac open any finder window (click on the Finder icon in the Dock) and make sure the shared drive shows up in the Shared discloser triangle. Then highlight that Shared drive and in the right hand of the Finder window select the share to mount it.

3. EricHigley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for you help. I now have a drive showing up on the shared side but I have no option to mount this drive. I'm connected via ftp and I can open it, however there is only one folder in there called USB Storage but I can not create new folders in there.

4. EricHigley thread starter macrumors newbie

It actually comes up as Shares>USB Storage in finder

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

6. EricHigley thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it formatted with two partitions, one GUID and one mac extended (journaled) i believe.

7. EricHigley thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like it is mounted, however, I can not write to it. I can only read it. But there is a button to eject it and it does show up on my desktop. I would like to be able to write to this and also use for time machine backups.

8. Shane1905 macrumors regular

Bump

After some advice with the same issue. I have a Netgear N900 with ReadyShare. I have a WD 2TB drive plugged into the router and can view it as a shared folder, not as a drive. I'd like to be able to view this as a drive on the desktop and use it with time machine for backups. Any help would be awesome.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer