External HD options for mbp (enclosures w firewire/esata?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cutcopypaste, Dec 19, 2008.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

I am migrating my storage over from my PC and I have 900 gigs or so of data on my PC.. so I was thinking of getting a 1 tb.. but now that i actually did that math, i may want to think of a 1.5 just to have room to expand (damnit) though i mean my mbp (17" 320 gb) does have room to store some stuff as well.

Anyway.. reading a bunch of comments here a bunch of people have said buying the drive and the enclosure separately is the way to go. But I have had not much luck finding an enclosure with firewire 800 (if i decide to go that route and I mean.. it'd be cool to actually use that port for something, plus would help to futureproof it as i do want to get into video at some point) for less than $100. There are some 40-50 dollar ish ones with eSATA and i understand I can use if I throw some kinda adapter in my multicard slot (or whatever it's called).. can someone elaborate on what i need to buy to be able to do that and also whether it's a worthwhile thing to do? (would be nice to actually use that thing, too, lol)

I might also decide that if I'm just storing movies and music and photos on there that usb 2.0 is fine (though again.. futureproof!)

2. smukkebenne macrumors member

You could also take the easy way out and buy a WD My Book Studio II 2TB. It has 2TB storage, FW 800, USB2.0 and eSata.
    In the US you can get it for around $280.

3. kngelv macrumors member

I would check OWC at www.macsales.com I just picked up two 1TB Mercury Elite-AL Pro Drives. They are nicely made, come with cables and are blazing fast with Firewire 800. You can buy them ready to go or buy the case and drives separately. They have some rebate deals too. Good luck.

James