External HD over AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RaptorJesus, Jul 19, 2008.

1. RaptorJesus macrumors newbie

RaptorJesus

Is it possible to set up an external HD over my AirPort Extreme network to act as a Time Machine volume?

I have a 320gb external HD that I bought recently, on sale and I needed to transfer files from my old PC to MBP. And its served its purpose, now im just using it to keep an extra copy of my music and photos and some applications.

I was snooping around the internet today and I came across some articles about Time Machine... which got me thinking. I can hook it up to the back via USB. So now what? After a couple google searches it appears that AirPort Disk should be able to solve my problems. But, thats all I can glean from it. I cant actually find it, nor does Apple have anything to tell me about it.

Please help! (Im a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to Macs still so be patient)

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Yup works fine for me, once you connect it just go in your finder and it should be on the sidebar.

ChrisN

3. RaptorJesus thread starter macrumors newbie

RaptorJesus

Ok I can see the drive "320GB Volume" but is there a way to set it up so that it can be used for a Time Machine volume?

4. mtfield macrumors 6502

yes just go to system prefs-> time machine->and hit change disk and select that volume.

5. RaptorJesus thread starter macrumors newbie

RaptorJesus

6. mtfield macrumors 6502

Make sure you have the disk mounted before hand... it should show on your desktop.. then you should be able to see it in time machine

7. RaptorJesus thread starter macrumors newbie

RaptorJesus

I can find it in Finder, but its not on my desktop.

I tried sucessfully to read and write files to it through finder. So its working

8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I usually drag it over to my dock, the small part by the trash. So then it will always be there.

ChrisN

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

server volumes arent shown on the desktop by default. you can change this in Finder's preferences.

you should be able to add it as a Time Machine disk. does it show up?

10. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

11. RaptorJesus thread starter macrumors newbie

RaptorJesus

12. xerenthar macrumors 6502

Mine is on my desktop and in finder, and it will not show up in Time Machine.

13. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

go into time machine preferences, change disk or something and see what you can find there. Actually just go to Time Machine Preferences and explore there.

ChrisN