Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve.mbp36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Hi, I just got a new external HD. I'm using it as a time machine so it's backing up 150GB now. It's 1TB so that will leave about 770GB...so once the backing ups done should I create a partition for like regular storage? My startup disk in my Macbook is full, so maybe set the time machine partition at 175GB and then set the other partition for the rest of the space? Is that right?

Thanks in advance!

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Time Machine creates backups that are saved as a single file. You can write other files to the same partition without a problem.

Creating a partition around the Time Machine backup can be used to limit its size, but is not needed for any other purpose. It is recommended that the Time Machine partition you use is at least 2x the size of the drives you are backing up.

steve.mbp36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Hey thanks. So you mean I don't need to create any partitions? Any space not used by time machine will be good for storage?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hey thanks. So you mean I don't need to create any partitions? Any space not used by time machine will be good for storage?

Not really. I mean you can certainly use the drive to store stuff including your TM backups, but I would partition it still if you wished to do that. I use a partitioned travel drive for my MB Air in that same manner.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I should add that I partition my Time Machine drive in order to limit the space used by Time Machine. The downside is that you lose that space for other storage right off the bat.

steve.mbp36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Ah ok I guess TM just expands with each backup...can I adjust the partition sizes later if I do make a couple? Now that the backup's done, how do I access the settings of it? I'm not that worried about backups, I just figured it was a good idea, I don't need it to do every day! :p I just want the most space available as possible, so should I partition the drive or no? And if so, what size? Thanks again!

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
I should add that I partition my Time Machine drive in order to limit the space used by Time Machine. The downside is that you lose that space for other storage right off the bat.

Yep I agree with GEO.

I have a 1 TB drive with 300 gb in FAT-32 (for my PC files and MP3) and the remainder is Mac Journaled for the Time Machine back-up of my MBP and Mini.

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
and...

to answer your question about how the TM works. It does what is called incremential back-ups - what this means is rather than creating a mirror image of your HD it backs up in increments as you make changes.

So let's say you have 1 computer that has an internal 250 HD and a 1 TB external. Some day your 1 TB will completely fill itself even though your internal HD is only 250. However TM is smart enough to delete files once it reaches the externals max.

This is why people partition...because with my setup above, TM will only reach a maximum 650gb and it will not touch my partition of 300gb.

Hope that helps.;)

steve.mbp36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Oh thanks man. So in my situation would it be ok to just set 250GB or so to the TM partition? I don't really need daily backups or anything. Could I always change the size of the partition later, if I needed more space?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You can't change the size of a partition without rewriting the drive once you start writing data to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.