External HD playing Movies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nitro1, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

Here is what i want to do. I want to load all my movies on to my external hard drive and hook it up to my Airport Extreme. After i hook this all up i would like to be able to play the movies on the external hard drive on my computer using front row. I know this can be done if the movies are in my "movie folder" but i would like it if i could do it without having to put the movie on my computer each time and then remove it to save HD space.

Is this possible.

Thanks

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You should have a look at Plex. It's a Frontrow replacement, and it's free. It's very nicely designed and you can get themes for it too. You can view just about any movie type, and watch anything connected over a network.

3. pekedey macrumors newbie

What you can do is make an alias to your movies folder on the external drive, and place that alias in the movies folder on your computer.

1: Locate the folder on your external drive which has all your movies in it.
    2: Right click the folder and choose "Make Alias."
    3: Locate your movies folder, (stored in localdrivename\Users\MyUserName\movies).
    4: Move the alias you've created into this folder.
    5: Open Frontrow.
    6: Navigate to Movies\AliasYouJustMade.
    7: If the external drive is connected, you can browse all the movies in it and watch them streamed.