External HD problem from not ejecting properly?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lukester, Nov 1, 2018.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I have a 1 gig G Tech drive that I used for TM and it would always get ejected and rebooted since it was on all the time and now it has problems. It makes a clicking noise. I reformatted it and it is better but once in awhile its not being mounted properly I guess.

Anyone ruin a drive from not ejecting it properly?

I had the TM set to do hourly backups which probably was not necessary and caused the problem

any thoughts on what to do>> It is an older drive, I probably should can it and get another?

2. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I found out what is causing the 'clicking" sound and not being able to mount my USB powered G Drive.

I pulled the usb cord out of the external multi buss and put it into my MacBook, all is fine.. no clicking..
    I just did a search on the subject and sure enough most figured out it was the powered buss apparently is not putting out enough power for the HD.

I was ready to pull the trigger on another HD but may get a better USB buss, I hope.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

Check the SMART Parameters with
    https://www.volitans-software.com/apps/smart-utility/
    It is possible that the first installation of the SMART UTILITY driver causes a kernel panic. That is "normal" and does not occur after the installation (had no kernel panic for years).

If it is not the drive (SMART values appear to be ok), then most likely the power supply is the problem. The case / enclosure is usually not the problem. I had 4-5 defective power supplies in the past 10 years, IIRC and only one defective HDD (WD replaced the 3 TB Red HDD with a brand new HDD).
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2018 ---
    Cool! Problem solved! :)

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 603

Mr. Retrofire

You mean USB hub?

The problem is, that most USB hubs are pretty old and use old chipsets. If possible buy a USB 3.0 hub which uses a VIA VL-813 chipset.