external hd problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ricecook, Jan 13, 2008.

1. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

so i just got me HD for making back up for my macbook/pc it works for mac/pc plug and play works fine..but now that i reformat it using my macbook for time machine when i plug the hd back to my PC it dont read it?
    how can i fix it back to normal? so that it work for both? it didnt come with a set up cd it was inside the HD whice i did made a copy of..

so formating to use time machine means that my external HD is only for my mac now? cant plug it to any pc then?

will i have to buy a new hd?

2. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

As far as I know Time Machine totally takes your HD for your mac, You cannot use it for your PC so you are better off buying a cheap Seagate HD (I have one). They work fine between mac and pc. You just need one devoted to time machine and one for sharing.

3. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

you have to format the external hard drive probally on the mac then it will be reconized for pc/mac:apple::apple:

4. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

so that means that my external HD is now for macs only then right?
    is there a way to reformat it back to normal?:confused:

thnaks:)

5. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Your Time machine HD is devoted to time machine and wipes everything else, and because windows does not have time machine it is unrecognized. You need two HD's. But its worth giving coolant113's idea a shot.

6. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

how? im so new bee to macs..

thanks

7. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

fat32 is the only format you can read/write from/to with both operating systems... time machine has to be formatted hfs so if you want to use this drive for time machine as well as extra storage space for windows you are going to have to make 2 partitions... you can make the 2 partitions using disk utility in mac os, format the one in mac os extended (journaled) you want to use for time machine... then you can format the other in fat32 or if you wish to format it ntfs you must do it from within windows

8. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

plug it into the mac and go to Aplications then utilities then disk utility.. then click on the time machine disk and hit erase:apple::apple: i am pretty sure thats how

9. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

yep

10. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

GOT IT...AHHH..OHH YEAH ..thanks lots guys BIG help..
    this site is great going to be on here forever..lol..

THANKS VERY MUCH..