External HD Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Elven, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Hi all,

I have a Maxtor Onetouch 750GB HD, which I was using for my Windows pc, now I am moving 100% to the land of Apple, and the pc is soon to be sold, and I wish to use the HD for the Macbook until I can order my iMac.

This leaves me with a problem I require the data on the HD, and yet I cannot write to the HD as it requires a format to support the Mac format.

Has anyone any tips on how to overcome this problem?

2. stukdog macrumors 6502

Have you plugged in the drive to the Mac yet? Macs can usually read drives that were formatted for PC's.

3. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Yes the Macbook is capable of reading the external HD but is incapable of writing to the HD, reporting that it requires formatting to the Mac format system to continue. I cannot afford to loose the data on that HD and lack any real way of backing it up.

Really hoping for a solution I can achieve within OSX.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Copy the data from that HD to your Mac (which you can do, even without write permission), reformat the drive, then copy the data back.

5. Elven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Elven

Sadly not an option.

The Macbook has a 160GB HD, of which 110GB is free, the HD has over 250GB of data stored on it which I cannot afford to loose. :(