Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
When I connect my External Hard Drive my Mac Book Pro fails to recognize it. Can anyone please give me a solution. It worked absolutely fine until today. And suddenly it just doesn't recognize it. My Hard drive is connected to power properly. It is showing a green light. But there is no difference on the screen, I restarted the computer. I turned the HD power off and restarted it. Nothing helps.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
try booting into your restore disk and using disk utility and see if it will be recognized there.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
just leave it for a while. im sure it will come good. it cant just stop working like that. how old is it? has it had any bumps lately? etcetc

I have left it connected since an hour. And I can hear the disk sound from the HD so its definitely processing and it was working fine a few hours ago and it has not moved an inch all day. And the HD is just six months old.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I have left it connected since an hour. And I can hear the disk sound from the HD so its definitely processing and it was working fine a few hours ago and it has not moved an inch all day. And the HD is just six months old.

ok well it seems more of a controller problem (not being recognised by the computer). got another computer to try it in? have you double chcked all the data cables? are there any other interfaces on the hard drive to try? (i.e. firewire or something)

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
ok well it seems more of a controller problem (not being recognised by the computer). got another computer to try it in? have you double chcked all the data cables? are there any other interfaces on the hard drive to try? (i.e. firewire or something)

The HD is not being recognised on my other mac as well. There is only one USB interface. And all the data cables are plugged in properly.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
Try removing the HD and putting it in another enclosure if your data is extremely important :confused:
That has to suck, I've never had that type of problem before.

If it's still under warranty, call the manufacturer first before opening it.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
As my HD was still new I had store warranty so I have sent it back. But they are not sure if they can protect my data. :mad:

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Try removing the HD and putting it in another enclosure if your data is extremely important :confused:
That has to suck, I've never had that type of problem before.

If it's still under warranty, call the manufacturer first before opening it.

This would likely work. My guess is it's a problem with the enclosure. I had the same thing happen. The actual hard drive is probably fine.

edblor

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Does the drive show up in "About this MAC".

Check under the ATA field, and it probably will be there. The issue is that it just is not mounting.

As for mounting, Google "hard drive not mounting OS X".

Report back to us.

Cheers

Just noticed that you sent it back. Well, hopefully they don't mess with your data. Next time, search for hard drive that won't mount.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Does the drive show up in "About this MAC".

Check under the ATA field, and it probably will be there. The issue is that it just is not mounting.

As for mounting, Google "hard drive not mounting OS X".

Report back to us.

Cheers

Just noticed that you sent it back. Well, hopefully they don't mess with your data. Next time, search for hard drive that won't mount.

Wish I had known that before. Thanks though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.