external HD question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BaBayOOsa, Apr 26, 2011.

1. BaBayOOsa macrumors member

ok I just got a 500gb pro drive and plugged it in. it asked if I wanted to use it as a time machine i clicked decide later. then opened time machine time machine told me a disk to select and when i went over my pro drive 500gb it says: "ProDrive reformat required (incompatible file system)" yet when I select it it says I can use it as a time machine...... also when I try and drag files into it it just wont copy them in.......

so whats wrong here? I would like to use it but seem to not be able to..... how do iI reformat it? for mac compatible use.

( link to the specific drive: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846 )

P.S it said it was mac compatible out of the box.... guess not :(

EDIT #1: just opened it and right clicked and hit "get info" and it says its in the "Windows NT file system (NTFS)" so it looks like i have to reformat it? how do I go about doing so.......

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use Disk Utility and format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

3. BaBayOOsa thread starter macrumors member

so when i open up disk utility and select it i should choose mac osx extended?

4. BaBayOOsa thread starter macrumors member

ok so I just click mac osx extended journaled and hit erase? (sorry for keeping this thread going I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing.)

5. simsaladimbamba

Yes.

6. BaBayOOsa thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks so much for the help guys!!!!

I fallowed that guide you posted and did all the steps it said I should to make best use of my drive. damn it says the estimated time for all of it to be done is 4 hours :eek: