External HD Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CappyAA, Apr 7, 2008.

1. CappyAA macrumors newbie

Hey everyone - sorry if this question is not in the right place. I just ordered my first Mac yesterday! I ordered a MBP and I'm super excited for it to get here. I was going to pick up an external hard drive, but I know nothing about them. Any recommendations on what to buy?

2. danny_w macrumors 601

These are just a few options. It depends a lot on what you want, how much space, how it will be used, what interfaces you need, whether you need redundancy, etc. I just picked up a 750GB WD MyBook Home Edition (USB2 + FW400 + eSata) on clearance at Best Buy for $162 because it was too good a deal to pass up. I use a 500GB WD MyBook Essential Edition (USB2 only) at work and love it; very quiet, small, and works great with Time Machine and SuperDuper! (I have 2 partitions). If you need something faster and rock solid look at the G-Tech drives. If you need RAID look at Guardian Maxximus from macsales.com

3. CappyAA thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess speed isn't too much of a concern for me. I got the 7200 rpm HD in my MBP, and that's where I plan on working from. I really am only getting the external HD to backup my internal HD and if need be, store photos/movies/etc.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I sure like the 5-year warranty on the Seagate FreeAgent drives.

G-Tech is supposed to be really good too.

WD has always been a power player in the HDD market, and always deserves serious consideration.

I know many people like LaCie, but I'm not a fan. LaCie makes the enclosures, not the drives. You never know what brand of drive you'll get in one. Could be great, could be less than great. My dead LaCie had a Maxtor drive in it:

[​IMG]

I've never been a fan of Maxtor drives.

5. CappyAA thread starter macrumors newbie

6. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge