external HD question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acrahm, Apr 28, 2008.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

I am in search for 2 1tb external hd's, right now i have a WD my book studio "mac" version but i have only had it a couple weeks and i was reading some reviews claiming they crash and die rather quickly, so any recommendations as to which external 1tb HD's are the best in terms of longevity and durability? thanks for all your future help!!

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have not had any problems with Western Digital, i know a few people have had problems with it. Search for something called "Drobo" and watch the video tour of it you might be interested. Here are some good hard drive makers i have used in the past:

- Lacie (they dont make hard drives themself but they are pretty good)
    - Maxtor
    - Seagate (love these guys)
    - Western Digital.

I am not sure if Maxtor and Seagate have 1TB models but i know thwy have 750GB

3. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I recently bought a Hitachi and am not pleased. It disconnects randomly, and only once in a while will it automatically reconnect. VERY frustrating as it's the media drive that syncs/streams to the Apple TV. So I'd avoid that.

4. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Running a WD MBP myself, its not the 1TB edition but i've had it for about 7 months with no problems, i think some time on the internet everyone only highlights the bad points of products and sometimes its just best to go with the one you like the look of as no product is guarantied to have no problems

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I've had both WD 3.5" drives that I've owned fail. Both were 7200 rpm; one after 3 years, the other after 11 months. WD would not honor their 1 year warranty on the second one. I'll never buy another WD drive again.

I have one 2.5" WD drive that is now in an external enclosure (I replace my MBP's internal with a Samsung). It's less than a year old and seems to be fine.

I've had 3 Seagate 3.5" drives and all three have performed flawlessly. One is retired, the other two are still humming along.

I've owned two Samsung 2.5" drives; one for my MBP (320 gig) and one for my Apple TV replacement. Both have worked without issues.

I have one IBM DeskStar 3.5" (now owned by Hitachi) and it worked fine, too. It also is retired.

6. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I have four external drives - a combination of Seagate and WD. They are all in Macally enclosures. I've not had one fail in the 5+ years that I've owned the oldest one. Although I only use them for back up purposes.

7. jon.turnbull macrumors newbie

Buffalo hard drives

Hi,
    I thoroughly recommend Buffalo hard drives. I've got one of their network storage drives and its been brilliant ever since I bought it - great performance, good value and quick!

Hope it helps!
    Thanks,
    j

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Buffalo doesn't make hard drives. They make enclosures and connectivity solutions. They put other makers' drives in their units, and there's really no way to tell if the drive is from WD, Seagate, Samsung or Hitachi without opening the enclosure.

9. steeler macrumors regular

I currently only buy Seagate hard drives. It's hard to argue with the 5 year warranty. When getting an external unit, I purchase an enclosure and hard drive instead of a single unit. My enclosures are either Macally or Icydock. No problems with either so far.

I buy a separate enclosure and then select the hard drive because I want to know exactly what hard drive is in the enclosure. Also, it's easy to just swap it out if I want more capacity and can easily still use the smaller drive in my Windows box or elsewhere. While that may be possible with the all-in-one external drives, I don't want to mess around with that.

10. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

That's a good point about the Seagate warranty, Steeler.

What about the performance? Is it more or less the same or is it better?

11. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the input. i am using 1 HD for my itunes folder and another one for backup. My concern is not if it will last 3-5 yrs, but more so it all of sudden crashing. price isnt a huge issue to me either. i might buy 2 internal seagates and get enclosures for them. i want to use firewire on both, will this be a problem in using internals w/enclosures?

does it matter what i get since i will be using them on mac's? is the "wd 1tb mac edition" just a marketing ploy?

12. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

how easy/hard was it to replace the apple tv HD?

13. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

G-Tech

3 year warranty, quiet, and very cool looking. They come formatted for OS X. Did I mention they are very quiet. I have the F/W 800/400 and it has been working flawlessly. I found the best price for them on amazon.com.
    Morod