External HD question..

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by lacassius, Jan 30, 2009.

1. lacassius macrumors member

I need to get an external hd to use with my pro tools le set up.

my question is if i have the actual pro tools app saved to my macbooks hd does that mean i can only use that hd for recording/playback or is there a way to have pro tools on the mb's hd but the actual recording and playback done on the external?

I ask this because I plan to have my apps (pro tools, itunes, bitcomet etc) on the mb hd but the music & videos that those apps produce on the external. If i was to do this would there be many complications, or is it pretty straight forward?

2. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Just save the Project Folder to your external drive when you create a project, and everything will record to the external. You may need to write enable the external drive in the Workspace window from the Window menu in Pro Tools. I forget exactly what it says, but there is an option there. It's a little letter.

3. Phat Ham macrumors member

That is actually the method preferred by digidesign. You want the app itself to be on a separate drive than the all the data.

4. lacassius thread starter macrumors member

5. WishingDigiJosh macrumors newbie

if you're going to have complex sessions with 20, 30, 40 or more tracks, you might want to look at some of the more beefy built hard drive brands, like a Glyph or G-Tech. Something with a fan would be ideal.