External HD questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sierraaloevera, Dec 25, 2010.

1. sierraaloevera macrumors newbie

I would call myself fairly familiar with mac os X and I feel kind of silly asking a question like this, but it hasn't become a problem until now. I am running OS X 10.5.8 and have a few questions about using an external hd. I realize i'm going to have to format it, by the way. Anyways, my macbook's HD literally has only 2.5 gb left on it and was wondering what the proper way to move pictures and music to the external HD is so I can still seamlessly pull them up in iphoto and itunes (if possible) or what other options I have as far as freeing up some space.:confused:

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Why not invest in a bigger HD for the MacBook itself?

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I, too, think you should upgrade your internal hard drive. It's really easy.

4. brandon.8602 macrumors member

You can't quite "seamlessly" pull them up if you're going with an external HD. Personally, I attacked this problem much the same way. It's a matter of deciding what you need on you're macbook and what you're willing to plug in the HD for (I myself chose to put all my movies on my HD)

I like the idea of mass portable storage from computer to computer and especially to my xbox 360 with that HD but that's me.

It mainly comes down to portability

-If upgrading you're internal HD is a better option for you because you don't need the portability of your data on an external HD then do that.

-On the other hand if you don't want to lug around a external HD with you to access you're data then upgrading the internal HD is right for you

5. jamesdoown macrumors newbie

Software contains the external cover? This software can make a 1 - key backup, major manufacturers such as external hard drives? The project is a lower price does not seem to include aluminum and the cooling fan. How many activities can put a hard shell is not cold? Is there a recognized "best " for these enclosures? I do not know the name, many of the manufacturers of the product.

6. ICY DOCK macrumors newbie

ICY DOCK

Another option

Hey Sierraaloevera,

As far as transferring the your photos and songs over, I believe you will have to change the folder from where your itunes and iphoto are stored to the external HD. As far as freeing up space, there are two options to give a little more insight to:

1. keep your current drive. Use a 2.5" bare drive, (maybe you have a spare already) and use that with an removable enclosure to act as your external HD. This gives you extra space if you are on the go and need media when you are not around your house. Not to mention you can swap drives at anytime makes it convenient too!

2. Upgrade your drive on the Macbook. This will give you more space to work with if you don't need too much more space. However, going back to #1, if you do upgrade, now you have another drive you can use with an enclosure as a backup!

Hope this gives some helpful insight to you!