External HD questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thebloodysword, Oct 7, 2007.

1. thebloodysword macrumors newbie

I have a mac book 2.0ghz due processor and recently my hard drive completely failed and refuses to show up. I've been doing some research and apparently its possible to boot from an external HD. That said i have no idea how it affects performance. Will this make my computer slow down? More likely to crash? What are the drawbacks to going to an external drive? Thank you so much for your time
    chris

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Since your external options on that computer are basically FireWire or USB2, the disadvantage (aside from the obvious of having an external dangling off of it which needs to be plugged in) is that it'll be somewhat slower. Modern hard drives can generally output more data than the amount either of those connection schemes can handle, so while it probably won't be a dramatic slowdown, it isn't the most efficient way to run.

Other than that and the potential to accidentally unplug/power off/whatever the external, at least in theory there's no other real disadvantage. Can't say I've done it for more than emergency purposes, though.

Question: Are you wondering if it'll work so you can get things reorganized while you replace the internal drive, or are you considering running it full-time off the external? If the latter, keep in mind that the internal drive in the MBs is really easy to replace--it's accessible through the battery area.

3. thebloodysword thread starter macrumors newbie

I was considering full time, however if it is really that easy to replace i may reconsider. Any suggestions on where to buy replacement internal HD's?

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Newegg.com. Has really good prices, drives, and ships fast.

5. thebloodysword thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Any SATA 2.5" drive that is 9.5mm thick should work fine. There are a few extra-thick 12.5mm ones out there, which I don't believe will fit, so make sure you check the height as well as size of the drive, just to be safe.

ZipZoomFly.com is the other good place to buy drives. The best price for drives is almost always there or NewEgg.com, and both are trustworthy stores.

I assume you're out of warranty or you wouldn't be asking, but on the off chance you got it less than a year ago (or you bought AppleCare, in which case it's definitely covered), you can of course get Apple to replace the drive for free.