External HD Read Only after Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DVDSP, Oct 28, 2007.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

So my entire iTunes library (about 200 GB) is on an external HD. After I installed Leopard it's showing as Read Only. There is not option for permissions and in Disk Utility all I can do is verify the disk. Obviously I can't delete or add files or do anything but read them.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Can you change the status or permissions from the info pane (clover-i when the disk is highlighted in Finder?)

3. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

No, under "Sharing and Permissions" it says "You can read only" and there are no options, locks, etc. It's just the text.

4. flir67 macrumors 6502

I just had the same problem by accidently "playing" with the settings on 200gb of my music data.

there is a unix command you can enter into terminal that will reset it. i found it by reading up on it, before I installed leopard and nolonger have alink. :(

I had to enter mine twice for it to finally work. I did it and nothing happened. give it about five minutes. I think it has too go through the entire external drive and change it.

boy was i in luck thought I'd lost everything.

its fixable, just read up on it.

I think I searched "external hd permissions changing"

first make sure its showing up in disk utility. mine was not even doing that for a while.

5. flir67 macrumors 6502

found it :)

here's the link

sudo chmod -R u+rwX /Volumes/External

I thinks thats the command I entered but I used my external harddisc name inplace if external and use quotations such as

sudo chmod -R u+rwX /Volumes/"myexternaldrivename"

try it
    give it time about 5 minutes then you will see the drive come back on line :)

it took me twice

enjoy

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-54617.html

6. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help

After reading your post and the thread you linked to I tried the sudo command. At first it did nothing, even after waiting for a half hour. So I restarted the computer and "Bingo!", it's working again.

Thanks again (and to hayne),

7. Dimietriev macrumors newbie

external hd read only after snow leaopard

Hey, I now have the same problem after installing snow leopard, but the terminal command didn't do anything.

Terminal just runs through every file and says permission denied.

Any suggestions for getting permissions back on my external drive?