External HD refuses to eject ~ no obvious apps/processes preventing it??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by m021478, Dec 10, 2008.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

One of my external hard drives simply refuses to eject/un-mount, and I've done everything I can think of to terminate any processes and/or applications that may be using the drive and preventing it from being ejected properly, but I haven't had any success...

Is there some Mac-Jedi way of going about isolating what might be preventing this drive from ejecting properly? I've scoured the activity monitor but can't figure out what might be preventing the drive from ejecting??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Google "What's Keeping Me?". It's a program that's supposed to help identify what's preventing a drive from ejecting.

jW

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Edit: Good catch Mal- I spent too much time with the Yoda language translator! :D

Well perhaps not Mac-Jedi enough, but yes there is a simple way- but the guys at HAMSoft had to figure out how! They have a free utility called What's Keeping Me? that does exactly what you want.

You just type in the name of the disk that won't eject and it will tell you exactly what is keeping it from ejecting. It also works on things in the trash that keep you from emptying it which I have used several times with great results.

Take care of your needs young Skywalker, I imagine this will. ;)