External HD to run iTunes off of?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by winks360, May 11, 2010.

1. winks360 macrumors member

I Bought an :apple:TV about a year ago and have been buying HD content and now my internal 500GB HD is full.

So I am looking into getting an external HD to run my iTunes Library off of.

After doing some research I have found myself with more questions than I started with :confused:

I know as the years go on I will need more space so I was looking at expandable HDs but I am unsure how they work? If I get a 1TB expandable HD and add another 1TB drive would my computer read it as one 2TB drive or as 2 separate 1TB drives?
    If it does read them as separate drives then what is the purpose of an expandable hard drive?

Also I am a huge fan of buying everything Apple so I was thinking of getting a 2TB Time Capsule to devote to my iTunes content, but I am not sure how fast it is compared to other hard drives?
    Is a 1 Gigabit Ethernet connection faster than a FireWire 800 connection?

Any tips would be great :D

Thanks Guys :)

2. martin1000 macrumors 6502

I just ran out of space as well.

Look at Drobo. I just ordered one. It will allow expansion eventually up to 16TB, and you can add as you go.

3. winks360 thread starter macrumors member

:eek: holy cow!!!!!

Now I know what I am saving up for, thanks.

Well let me know how well it works when you get yours ;)

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

The way I look at it, by the time I max out my current 1.5TB iTunes library drive, it will be at least 18-24 months old and at a point where I should be looking into buying a fresh external...since one never knows when a HDD will fail.

But one thing is for certain: ALL HDDs fail.

Spending $100 or less every 2 years for a fresh, LARGER (based on current trends) drive is part of the deal in my opinion and totally acceptable to me. When I am maxed out, I imagine 2-3TB drives will be at around my $100 price point...or maybe something even better.

Just expanding a setup (not speaking DROBO necessarily...I know it essentailly has redundancy and backup built-in) and keeping the old drive in use is just asking for trouble.

5. Princess Cake macrumors regular

Princess Cake

Running iTunes off an EHDD would annoy the p*ss out of me, by the time a song is over and the next one has to load the drive would have to rev back up. I use my EHDD for my digital movie collection and Time Machine but that's all.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

REALLY? Your external spins down in under 3-4 minutes?

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Drobos get *very* mixed reviews, FWIW.

Buying all Apple is kinda just silly for what you want.

ANY USB 2 drive made will do exactly what you need. 2TB have come down to about $130.

http://dealmac.com/

8. winks360 thread starter macrumors member

Well my main purpose is to have my entire iTunes Library in one place so I can stream it to my :apple:TV so I need all my movies and tv shows all in the same place.

I am liking the sound of the Drobo, but I know in a few years Solid State drives are becoming the standard. but will the future SSDs be the same size and all as todays internal drives. Meaning, will future drives always fit in the Drobo??