External HD TV, playing games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UrFatMom, Mar 17, 2009.

1. UrFatMom macrumors regular

Hi, sorry if it has been posted already.

This is a theorical question since I don't have my MBP yet. I'm trying to decide wich MBP to buy.

If, for exemple, I try to play Diablo3 (wich is not out yet, just using this game as standard since I'll play it alot when it does), how will the MBP perform? I would also like to know how it will perform if using my HDTV (40") as a display.

Can we actually use an external display as primary display on 1900*1080 is another question I would like answered.

Would the 17" perform better for external display? Is the external display only good for movies/pictures etc. and would lag too much for intense gaming?

Thanks in advance

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

So - you want to know how an unspecified MBP (which you don't own yet) will perform on a game (which is not released yet) when played on some unspecified HD TV.

:rolleyes:

3. UrFatMom thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah basically. If I want to put up more info, I think I'll buy the high end 15", 7200 rpm HDD with 4gb ram. Let's take a game that is already out, that will most likely have similar specs, let's say Unreal Tournament. And the HDTV is irelevent I believe.

sorry If I was to vague at start

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

For the most part, Blizzard's games don't demand a lot in terms of hardware (not incl. World of Warcraft). Just based on Blizzard previous history, Rev. A MacBook Pro's and future revisions will run "Diablo III" just fine with no hiccups. Don't worry about it.

5. UrFatMom thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the quick response. But what about for the external display? (with dvi-hdmi on 40" tv). Would a 17" give better results then 15"? Or will the results be similar, thus making 17" obsolete for what i'll do with it?

Thank you

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Not really. I don't see the CPU and RAM playing a big part. What you want to do if you're going to be connecting external displays is get the high-end 15". I'm pretty sure that future revisions, like Rev.A, will have 512 MB of video memory and that will help with external displays.

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

What matters is the resolution the TV is capable of. If it's a 720p, no problem at all with most games. 1080p (1920x1080 or 1920x1200) you may not be able to turn the settings all the way to high and certainly not ultra (if the game has such a setting).

I use a DVI to HDMI cable and a separate RCA to headphone cable for the audio (I do not have a separate receiver).

Yes, this works, however, text in regular business apps like word and excel are not as clear on HDTV displays as they are on computer monitors. I used a 32" HDTV as my primary for 2 months before buying a 24" HDMI-capable Samsung monitor.

Cheers,