External HD: WD Elements or LaCie?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by midloman, Nov 25, 2010.

1. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

Does anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons of these 2 drive makers? I'm looking at a 2 TB desktop size version of each of them, and I was wondering if one has a better reputation, less problems, etc. than the other one. I plan to use the drive with my MBP for Time Machine and maybe other things.

I don't think either one of them comes with preloaded software to uninstall, so that's one less step to do after getting it. Thanks.

LT

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I've had models from both companies (not the ones you mentioned though) and had perfectly fine experiences with both. I think WD currently has one of the better reps in the HDD business, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I think both of mine did come with software on them, but you should reformat into HFS Extended anyways if you only plan on using with OS X.

3. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

I use iOmega and they are perfect. I love the fact that for 2TB they are $129.99 and the quality is +1. I own two of their HDD's and never once have had an issue and I use mine 2-3 times a week. Go to your local Best Buy or Apple Store and they are readily available. Oh, and I can't forget their 5 year warranty they carry :)

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

If you are in the US the WD 2TB is on sale for $69 at Target on Black Friday.

Iomega doesn't manufacture hard drives, they use WD Seagate Toshiba etc... In their own enclosures.

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

WD has a good reputation , and are a good choice
    Lacie good quality too
    but i would only buy the firewire versions of both manufacturers

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get the one with the best warranty. Neither is more reliable than the other.

Oh, and LaCie doesn't make hard drives- they make enclosures and stick whatever the cheapest 3rd party drive they can buy in bulk for that production run.