External HD went bananas, in dire need of help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaydude, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jaydude macrumors newbie

/* I'm running 10.6.2, and my external HD is a Western Digital 250GB with the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format */

So my external HD decided it would try and delete two videos present on it every single time I connect it to my macbook. Seriously, each and every time I connect my external HD to the macbook, my (then empty) trash shows those two videos the external HD is trying to delete. It appears that it has become doomed forever to try and delete those two videos.

This makes it impossible to eject the external HD normally, since it is always "in use" trying to delete those two videos, and I'm forced to 'force-eject'. The fact that it is in constant use means I can't run Disk utilities to Repair Disk because the external HD must be unmounted first.

A side-effect of all this is that I can no longer see any file stored on the external HD. The info says "250 GB capacity, 80 GB available," meaning that my files are still on there, but I cannot see them through Finder.

I feel as though there is an easy fix for this, but I can't get to it. I contacted WD about this, and they said the partition table may be corrupted and that there is no way to fix this, so I should try and recover the data.

ANY help on how to fix this would be *greatly* appreciated, or, barring that, any recommendations on data recovery software would be appreciated as well.

2. dashcs macrumors regular

wow

Ok Are you sure is trying to delete it the files?

Heres the thing.If you have a external HD and put a file from the external HD into your trash bin.

It really doesn't go on your computer trash bin but your external HD trash bin.

So when you connect your external HD to your computer.
    The computer reads the external HD trash folder and see it and add the linker into your computer trash bin icon.
    Thats why when your disconnect your external HD,the trash is empty.

Can't you just grab the items from the trash and put them on your desktop or on the external HD?

If you already knew that ,then I just wasted your time.:(

3. jaydude thread starter macrumors newbie

No no, thank you so much for your reply. I didn't realize that there was a separate 'external HD' trash and an 'OS trash'.

However, if I try to take those two files out onto the desktop or back onto the HD, the same two files end up back into the trash automatically. It's a never-ending cycle :(

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

5. jaydude thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, but that isn't my problem. See, even when I force delete my trash, the same files get trashed again as soon as I reconnect my external HD. It's like the external HD has an infinite amount of copies for those two files.