External HD will boot from macbook Air, but not iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thepiks, Jan 18, 2013.

1. thepiks macrumors newbie

I have a Thermaltake BlacX duet I did a carbon clone of a ssd hd. I can boot to this via my MAcbook Air, but when I hook it up to my usb on my iMac, and select it as the boot device after holding down the option key, i get a circle with an X through it. strange, any ideas? Works perfect on Macbook Air

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The reason is that unlike a couple of years ago OS X installed one one Machine will not work on a different model, If you install OS X 10.8 on a iMac it will not work on an Air or the other way around, sucks that it does not seem to work anymore.

3. rnb2 macrumors regular

Not entirely true - as with most new Macs, the new iMac has a custom build of OS X and will not work with the stock 10.8.2 that works with machines on the market before it. When Apple releases 10.8.3, it will most likely be able to boot any current Mac, including the new iMac.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yeah, hopefully they will go back to this, because right now too many people have the dreaded "Stop" sign.

5. thepiks thread starter macrumors newbie

THis was actually installed on my old iMac (2011) And is working on the Air. If it was installed on the iMac, seems like it should work on the new iMac, no?

----------

also, if I put this ssd in the inside(internal hd) of my new iMac, will it work? Or will it still get the stop sign like it does when it boots externally?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hard to tell, lately there have been quite a few problems with it, you can try but hard to tell if it will boot.

7. thepiks thread starter macrumors newbie

ohh no. so If i install it and it doesnt work, can I still reformat it? Or will i have to completely disassemble the iMac and remove it?

----------

also, just downloaded the 10.8.3 beta seed and still getting the error. =(

8. justperry, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes, you can always format it, the best way would actually be an internet install but I don't know if your firmware already has this built in.

Starting up in verbose mode is the way to go, you can then see what is going on, but the problem is when you start up from an external you can not use it after choosing the disk in the boot screen(after holding Option)

There is a way make it to start up in verbose mode but you need to go into single user mode first and add this to the nvram, something like:
    setenv boot-arg= -v
    Edit: this did not work, I know it is something like this but I just tried and it didn't work, normally if you are logged in this can be easily done with nvram, I know it;s possible in Single User Mode, just forgot the command.
    Another way is to put a boot.plist file in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and the system would then read it on startup and boots verbose.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Second question first. Likely you would.

As for something from the old iMac working on the new iMac, the new iMac has a different support chipset and such. Those drivers may not be getting installed with the point updates.
    Did you install a point update or a combo update or automatically via the software update mechanism. Software Update custom tailors to some extent the OS X updates. The point updates are larger and include more stuff.

In your case if you want to use the drive (with data and os) from the old iMac in the new iMac, applying the 10.8.3 combo update (when available) is your best chance of it working correctly.

10. thepiks thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys for all the help. it was indeed the combo update I believe, ill double check. thabks again for the great information! !! hopefully I can figure this out