External HD will not mount

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sikuss, Sep 21, 2007.

1. sikuss macrumors member

sikuss

Hi everyone,

I have a 320 gig WD MyBook that has been working flawlessly for almost a year now; that is until yesterday. I shut the drive off manually when it was not active (which I've done many times before with no problem) and when I turned it back on and woke up my iMac, the drive was nowhere to be found.

I've tried the usual changing of cables and ports and booting the drive before I turn on the computer etc. When I use the Disk Utility I can see the drive listed, but when I try to Verify and Repair it, I get the following:

Verify and Repair disk “MEDIA”
    ** /dev/disk1s1
    ** Phase 1 - Read FAT
    ** Phase 2 - Check Cluster Chains
    ** Phase 3 - Checking Directories
    Unable to read directory (Input/output error)
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 non HFS volume checked
    1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

I've tried creating a disk image and double clicking that, but I've had no success. I don't know what steps to try next, can anyone help??

(PS - If this is not the right forum, I apologize and will gladly repost in the correct one)

2. kiler macrumors newbie

External HD, WD MyBook

Did you ever find a solution for this!!? I'm having the same problem, just a slightly different error.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I've been using three assorted WD mybook external drives. They are extremely flaky, and I finally traced some of this to them getting too hot. You'll noticed they have vents on all edges except the front. There is no obvious fan in them (not in mine) so they rely on convection or a natural breeze to keep cool. I eventually stood two of mine up, resting on two pencils that lift them off the surface about 3/8". This lets air enter the bottom, and as it is heated it will rise through the enclosure and out the top. This creates a continuous air current that helps keep the drives cooler.

Mine have been considerably more reliable since standing them up this way.

If your drive is anywhere near the floor, dust can also work it's way into it and start acting like a blanket. More heat is not a good thing. Use some compressed air to blow it out if it needs it.

Lastly, mine were all plugged into a powered USB hub. Every now and then I have to move them to a new connection. It's as if there is a little oxidation or contact fatigue due to heat expansion and contraction over time that breaks the connection. Moving them to a new port usually helps.

Good luck with your problem. I doubt the drive itself has failed. The interface electronics may have, though. If you don't get it working, consider removing the drive itself and putting it in another enclosure.

4D