External HD with Time Capsule - Can't See Drives In Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by taylorjgreen, Apr 4, 2010.

1. taylorjgreen macrumors newbie

I have an external HD that I am attempting to connect to my Time Capsule. Actually it is a Probox with 4-1.5TB drives that store movies. The problem I have is that I cannot see the 4 drives in Finder.

I connect the HD (USB) to my PC and I see all 4 drives in explorer. I connect the HD (USB) directly to my iMac and I can see all 4 drives. I connect the HD (USB) to the Time Capsule and nothing.....

I go to the Airport Utility and under manual setting, select "Disks". I can see the 4 drives, plus the data drive of the Time Capsule. Under file sharing I enable "Enable file sharing", and Secure Shared Disks with "Time Capsule Password.

The problem is when I go to Finder, I cannot see the 4 external drives. Under "SHARED" I can see the Time Capsule. I click on it and then I can see a Data folder. Apparently I should also be able to see the other 4 drives. No such luck.

Any help would be appreciated

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The drives are required to be formatted HFS+ or FAT32 for that to work. By stating that they are viewable on your (Windows?) PC, you imply that they are formatted as either FAT32 or NTFS. And assuming that you are storing files larger than 4GB on those drives (as they are used for movie storage and FAT32 has a 4GB size limit), I'm going to further assume that the format is NTFS. If that is the case, you're best off reformatting as HFS+ and copying the files over again. The Time Capsule itself will allow both Windows PCs and Macs to connect to the drive once it's attached via USB.

Also, have you considered the transfer rate using the Time Capsule as a media server? If you're viewing HD movies and are streaming them from the TC, you should copy an HD movie to the TC's internal drive and stream it before you try reformatting, just to be sure that the transfer rate is sufficient enough to not cause hiccups in playback.