External HD Won't Mount after Improper Removal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ward0612, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ward0612 macrumors newbie

My external hard drive was plugged in to my Macbook Pro (17" Mid-2010) and I lifted the computer a little and the external dropped off the table (it stayed connected and didn't hit the ground or anything.) However, I then had the error message saying the disk had not been ejected properly. Now the disk won't mount or show up in the Disk Utility or in the System Information. I have tried the other USB ports. I have tried resetting the PRAM. The disk will not mount on our family Mac desktop either. The light on the external hard drive goes on as normal when it is plugged in (no individual power source,) as well as makes the standard noises.

If this is a communication error with the external the laptop, how do I reset the permissions?

If this is a hard drive error, it would surely be a controller error and not a disk error (It was inactive at the time.) How can I salvage my data?

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Have you tried plugging the drive into a different computer to see if it would mount?

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Its possible the circuit card in the external drive enclosure or the cable pulled apart during the fall.

Have you tried a different USB cable?

If not the cable, then you may need to open up the enclosure, extract the drive, and move it to another enclosure, dock, or adapter cable.

4. ward0612 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, unfortunately that was a no-go.

----------

I don't have an extra cable of this kind. Do you think that a trip to a tech store would be the best option then?

5. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

6. hammo123 macrumors newbie

hammo123

This has happened to me quite a few times ..where the disk will not mount on the desktop but shows in disk utility..does yours show ?
    I have to "mount" it again from the disk utility app..
    if it shows in the App then try to mount it & run the 'repair disk' function..
    If it's a 2.5" drive in a external case & you can remove it i suggest trying the drive in a new case..I buy the $10 Ebay ones & they're great to have laying around for these situations & also come with a cable as well..
    I've also been known to give the case & cable a gentle "tap & tug" from time to time & this can sometimes bring it to it's senses

7. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I think the best option would be to try the drive in a new enclosure/cable or adapter. I have a number of adapters laying around the house so its not a big deal to me, but its your call. No guaranty but either the drive is damaged (rotational drive don't like being move when spinning) or the cable or enclosure. Best way to isolate is to replace these components.

Its possible the drive is loose in the enclosure, open it up and see. Instead of trying the drive in a new enclosure, you could try another drive in the enclosure you have.... but enclosure/adapters are a lot less money than drives.

If you are uncomfortable opening the enclosure, then a trip to a computer service outfit would be in order. Anyone can determine the health of the a drive, doesn't have to be a Mac outfit.