External HD won't stay on...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thomamon, Aug 4, 2015.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

So I have had two LaCie External Hard Drives and decided to add a new one. I bought the 8gb TB.

For some reason tho, this one will not stay on. After a while the HD disconnects and I have to reboot to get it to show up again. Anyone have any clue what is going on or what I can do to fix that?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

USB? USB can be quirky, especially sleep mode firmware interaction with Macs. Try a different cable. There is a utility that some use to keep drives from spinning down and sleeping. I had something similar with an ORINCO enclosure and they sent me updated firmware that essentially disabled sleep modes. The enclosure/drives have been solid ever since. I would have expected LaCie to have that sorted out however.... so it could be a bad drive, enclosure, or cable.

Thunderbolt? bad cable or enclosure.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Some thoughts...

In the energy saver preference pane, there's an option to "put hard disks to sleep when possible".
    You want to UNcheck this option.

If that doesn't work, there's a little app out there called "Keep Drive Spinning" which you can find here:
    http://jon.stovell.info/software/
    Might be worth a try...

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

It is thunderbolt!

5. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

OK, unselected that in preferences, thanks!

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Then under no circumstances should it be disappearing from your desktop and only being available after a reboot... either the enclosure or the cable is defective.

7. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

How do I figure out which one?

8. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

If you have other Thunderbolt drives, then you could swap cables around and see if the problem moves to a different drive...