External HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by M03, Mar 8, 2012.

1. M03, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

M03 macrumors newbie

Looking at investing into an external for my MBP. Anyone have one (or at least know of a brand) that they're fond of? Has to be available on Amazon as well (giftcard).

To be more specific, I'm looking for these specs:
    BUS Powered
    USB AND FireWire compatible
    750GB - 1TB Memory
    The ability to power it with an adaptor* (optional requirement and the adaptor doesn't have to be included)

Backing up my files via Time Machine and storage of my music is the only thing it will be used for.

95% of what I use my computer for is music related (creation, live sets, etc.); also, the specs of my laptop are in my signature if it is of any relevance.

2. Bymatt macrumors member

XTERNAL HD for MBP

I have always preferred WD and have several hanging off my MBP circa 2008, same core as yours. These of course are powered by AC
    I have at times used the WD portable drives and the Toshiba Small very thin external BUS powered drive. I have the 320G one.
    Both external bus powered drives have been very good. NO trouble. They are quiet and just work. As with any external USB device on mac, remember to EJECT it before you disconnect it. For some reason known only to gear heads, the bus powered drives seem a tad slower. The newer Toshiba is quicker than the old, very old WD.
    Good luck in your search.