External HD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CaptMike, Aug 14, 2013.

1. CaptMike macrumors regular

CaptMike

What brand and model external HD do you use for your mac?

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

Any will work fine

Western digital or seagate just get the cheapest one in price , I personally have 3 toshiba external drives cause the price was the lowest out of the 3 brands

You can format the drive to mac journaled after you buy it , so don't get the expensive drive with the word "mac" in the title

3. CaptMike thread starter macrumors regular

CaptMike

LOL...thank's...that was exactly what i was going to do...buy one for the "mac".

Well if that;s the case, I have a external drive that I purchased for my PC but I tried to use it on the mac but did not get to far.

Do not know anything about "journaled".

4. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

5. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

In my transaction for my iMac the previous owner threw in a 2TB HP external. I hate HP with a passion... they're useless and a bad company with bad products, but this one seems to work well enough and it was free so I won't complain too much.
    I just use it for Time Machine and some storage.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What he is referring to is the format of the drive in OS X Disk Utility. Just plug in the drive and select it in disk utility then in the erase tab select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) like in my screen shot. Then name the drive whatever you want and click erase and you will be all set.

[​IMG]

7. Shane1905 macrumors regular

I use three western digital mybooks with mine, 2x2tb and a 3tb as a time capsule. If you already have a drive from your pc, you should be able to read from this on the mac, copy all of your files off, format the drive using disk utility to osx journaled and then dump your files back on and away you go. No need to spend money on a drive with mac written on the box. Massive waste of money just to come pre formatted to osx.

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

you have to format the drive to mac journaled in order for it to work read/write on the mac

follow the guide weezy posted above

9. aniruth macrumors newbie

only way to know is to get another usb adapter or stick it in a machine and test.

10. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Fair enough

Not fair enough.

They are a decent company with decent products, as demonstrated by the $120bn their customers give them each and every year. Once reknowned as being THE manufacturer of the highest quality products, they are perhaps not that differentiated any more, but to say they are useless and to imply ALL their products are bad (perhaps some are not great, like with every company) is utter nonsense.

I suspect your sample size of 1, i.e. you, is not statistically sensible upon which to base an assessment.

11. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

You so smrt

12. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

13. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I just had ann older LaCie D2 Hard Drive Extreme go bad on me, and replaced it with a Seagate Expansion drive (got a good deal on TigerDirect). The new Seagate is a portable drive and just runs off of USB (2 in my case, since it's plugged into my 2010 iMac): it's faster than the LaCie (even though it had FireWire), has 4 times the capacity, and doesn't need external power either. Just using it for media storage (installed an internal SSD for OS/Apps/other storage). Pretty satisfied with it.

14. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

15. tug macrumors 6502

hi,went out this mornin and purchased an ocz vector 128gb ssd and a probox usb 3.0 enclosure for my late 2012 21.5 imac got the lot for £135 from maplins.
    the difference in the imac is unbelievable!

i looked at all the possible setups like the lacie rugged, the samsung 840 pro ssd etc. wich would have cost around £100 more! i chose the cheapest route i could, just to see what difference could be achieved cos i got so dissapointed in the imac's speed. i previously had a macbook which i max'd the ram and put in a 250 gb ssd, that made the imac feel prehistoric in comparison.

im gonna keep this relatively cheap setup cos i am really pleased with the result.