external HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SR 7, Jun 6, 2015.

1. SR 7 macrumors regular

So I did some research on the MacBooks and I am planning on my an external HD to back up my current macbook for safety reasons and possibly for future use and realized that if I want to have a USB port which is what the external HD use then my only option for a laptop is the Macbook Pro right? as the Air doesn't have one and the macbook regular has only the C port right?

Nor do they have the ability to mirror on a TV or monitor because only the Pro has the HDMI right?

I need a new macbook but I can't see myself paying $1500 for a macbook with only 256gb where my current HD is 500gb and i have used 400gb.

My main issue is my current macbook fan is running 99% of the time and it is sooooo slow its frustrating to use. I only have 15 tabs open in either Safari or Chrome with no other apps running and I am still having these browsers eating up my CPU. I figure its time for na upgrade as this laptop is a Late 08' model.

So my only option is the 256gb Pro than correct? and if so, I have read people waiting for the new key note event before making purchases...do you guys expect a change in storage because I don't plan on spending 1200 for 128gb only.

Lastly, which external HD do you guys use? I was looking into the WD 1TB external drive. Any feedback on that?

2. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

3. SR 7 thread starter macrumors regular

really? why did I think i read it didn't...hmm...

So if I want to mirror I have to get a USB to hdmi port?

4. Pauly 6 String macrumors newbie

I got a thunderbolt to hdmi on Amazon for $10. Also have 2 USB ports on 13" MacBook Air

5. SR 7 thread starter macrumors regular

okay so it has a thunderbolt port as well? WTH?! I did a comparison yesterday on a site and all i saw was the power port..

can you tell me what it doesn't have compared to my 08' late MacBook? Seems like it contains the exact same ports..

6. SR 7 thread starter macrumors regular

So the 13" macbook air seems more like a old Macbook 08' model then huh?

I currently have 5gb of memory and it still runs like i am on very low since my CPU is always running high according to my fan..will 4gb be enough or better than my current 5gb even though its less? ( basing this off the fact that my model is almost 7 years old at this point)

7. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

4 GB is (NOW!) enough for browsing, editing photos, coding, even some gaming, but it might not be enough if your needs evolve or if (when) OS X gets another huge update. Go for 8 GB and be safe for a while.

8. SR 7 thread starter macrumors regular

like why does my top menu bar keep disappearing? Is this a memory issue or a hardware issue or just computer being super oldish?

9. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you were looking at the new 13" Macbook with Retina display, instead of the 13" Macbook Air or the 13" Macbook Pro?

- 13" Macbook - only a single Type-C port that can be used for USB, display, or charging
    - 13" Macbook Air - with 2 USB ports, an SD memory card slot, and a Thunderbolt port
    - 13" Macbook Pro - with 2 USB ports, 2 Thunderbolt ports, an SD memory card slot, and an HDMI port

Whatever you decide, be sure to get 8GB or RAM to be happy, as there is no opportunity to add RAM later.

As for how much SSD to get for file storage, 256GB minimum, and 512GB if you can. Again, no easy chance to upgrade later.

For an external HDD, get a 1TB or 2TB. Frequently onsale from Seagate or WD for less than $100 here in the states.

10. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

That makes it sound like something is crashing. Probably a software issue.

It sounds like you were looking at the new Macbook, which only has a single C-type USB connector port. Regardless of which computer you choose, Apple has been getting stingy about the number of USB and other ports that are included on their laptops. Be aware that you can pick up a USB hub to extend the number of USB ports available to you (prices range from about $10 to $80, depending on the number of ports you want and whether you want a self-powered hub). If you buy a computer that has a Thunderbolt port, there are also Thunderbolt hubs that give you more USB connectors, monitor outputs, audio outputs, Firewire, and so on... they're very nice, essentially acting like a dock, but they tend to be pricier ($200-400 range).

11. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Perhaps a Finder setting that auto hides the menu bar? Move your cursor arrow to the top or see if it reappears.

If you make your Window full screen, the menu bar disappears until you move cursor arrow to the top. You will see a double arrow in the upper left corner that turns full screen on and off.