external HD

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mtfield, Feb 5, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

So I'm going to buy an external HD and begin to put digital copies of all my DVDs on it. I only want to put the videos on the external drive.. I want to keep my music on my computer though.. Does anyone have a good way to do this?

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Can you replace the Movies folder in your iTunes Music folder with a shortcut to a folder on your external drive?

That's about all I can think of. I haven't tried it, but I would think this would work...

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's exactly what I do. There's not much to mess with when it comes to the music.

I have a HDD attached to my AEBS. I created folders called Movies, TV Shows, and Music Videos. I just drop movies and music videos into the folders. For TV Shows, I create a folder for each show and then a folder for each season or set. FOr instance:

TV Shows>Friends>Friends - Season 1

I then use HandBrake to rip the video and drop it in the folder. You should probably then use MetaX to tag the shows. After that, you just Add to Library from the File menu. I think use folders and dumb playlists to organize them on the left side for easy use (and easier control when syncing to an iPod). ALL video files are by default categorized as movies, so you have to change every darn TV show episode. Read MetaX how-tos (I'm just learning myself) to figure out easier ways.

So that's what I do.

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

What I do (which looks easier):

Hold down the option key and drag your movies from your external HDD to your iTunes library.

This temporarily ignores the "copy files to iTunes library" setting. iTunes will add your movies to the library but leave them on (and access them from) your external.

I just got a nice big 1TB external for my movies & TV shows and have started this. Works like a charm and is no bother to do.