External HDD>ACD>MBP... do I need to eject??

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I just bought a 20" ACD and I think I'm starting to really like it... plus it's going to save wear and tear on my couch!

So I've been experimenting on how I want to have everything hooked up and where. Previously, with just my MBP, I would do Time Machine backups after the notification annoyed me for a week or so, so I'd have to dig out the external HDD, plug it in, and let it do it's thing.

I'm looking into getting a Twelve South BackPack and leaving it connected to the ACD. Now, when I unplug my MBP from the ACD, do I need to stop, sign on, and eject the disk?

I'm guessing if it's in the middle of a backup that would be the best thing to do. What about if it's been sitting there for a couple of hours and I'm taking MBP to bed?

Maybe getting a TC would be best, especially for a MBP? And if I do get an TC or AEBS, would I need to go in and eject it as a network drive before leaving my apartment?

simonsi

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
If the drive is showing as mounted (has an eject symbol next to the drive in Finder), then it should be ejected before disconnection. If it isn't you will get a warning from OSX.

One option would be to use Undock - it means un-mounting ALL external drives can be done with a single key-combo rather than ejecting each one in Finder....

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
If my MacBook goes to sleep does it unmount the drives? Like if it's been closed, can I just grab it and leave? This would probably be with a TC since I'm thinking of getting one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.