External HDD back up device..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 10th Wonder, Sep 11, 2007.

1. 10th Wonder macrumors regular

I had a external HDD be4 but i returned it due to the fact that it was usb external HDD. It was a 1 touch back up device but said it's uncompatible unless you have firewire hdd. Which I did not have because it was the USB model from Western Digital. But does it really matter if it's USB or IEEE 1394a? Can you still use a usb hdd to back up your OSX and media files? Only reason I wanted to get one because my music was taking up my entire Mac HD. So after that I became confused in which external HDD i should get or even use for my powerbook.

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

There's no reason that you can't use a USB external hard drive to back up your information. It's the same exact thing with a different hardware interface. I throw all of my media onto a SimpleTech USB hard drive.

I don't personally like the one-touch solutions. If you're going to do any sort of syncronizing, take a look at Chronosync. It isn't free, but it's extremely well built.

http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/Pages/ChronoSync/chrono_overview.html

3. 10th Wonder thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the insight, I knew i should of just kept my 160gb hdd when i bought it back then. Well at least there is ones for 80 buck for a 160 gb now on newegg.com

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

That $80 one is probably the one I picked up about 3 weeks ago. It's a red SimpleTech 160GB. So far I'm extremely happy with it, although I'm about 60% through it with my media, so maybe I should have gone for the 250GB.

5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I have a FW connected drive and did have a USB connected one too at one time. They both worked as well as each other, except the USB one was noisy! It was faulty though.

I believe - and I'm prepared to be corrected on this - that Time Machine only works with FW connected drives though and not USB. So if this is true, and you're planning to upgrade to Leopard, then you might want to get a FW one and not a USB.

Is this correct?

Cheers.

6. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

From what I've read, so long as the volume you are working with is formatted as HFS+, you should be able to use Time Machine with either a USB or Firewire Hard Drive. It should also work with network storage devices as well. However, supposedly the entire volume needs to be devoted to Time Machine.

I'm also prepared to be corrected on this.

7. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking you're right. This is from the Apple site:

<SNIP>
    Effortless meets wireless.

With a hard disk connected to your AirPort Extreme Base Station, AirPort all the Macs in your house can use Time Machine to back up wirelessly. Simply select your AirPort Disk as the backup disk for each computer and the whole family can enjoy the benefits of Time Machine.
    </SNIP>

Airport Express-es don't have FW ports do they? (I'm trying to buy one and my local's are out of stock).

cheers.

8. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Judging from the diagram depicted here: http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html
    I don't see any firewire ports on the device.