Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgraves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Hi,

I have a 250GB external harddrive that is formatted as NTFS and used to backup my 2 PCs. I recently got a Macbook Pro and want to use the same drive to backup all 3 computers. I know Macs can't write to NTFS partitions so here's what I'd like to do:

-Make 2 partitions on the drive using partition magic 8.0 for windows. Format the one partition to NTFS
-On the Macbook Pro, use Disk Utility to format the other partition to Mac's filesystem

Will this work? Or will it cause problems (e.g. will the mac and pc's be able to read their respective partition)?

Rob

rgraves

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation. One PC isn't used much and the other just has a 40GB drive so I'm not too concerned about space for the time being.

The only concern I have with space would be how much Time Machine will use once I get that. My understanding is that it makes multiple copies of your files when they've been changed so that could potentially add up over time.

Thanks again.
Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.