External HDD Boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by merrickdrfc, May 4, 2011.

1. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

Hi,

At school I require the need of OS X 10.6.7 and Xcode 4, however on the MacBook Pro's available (I believe the 2010 models) they are running an older version of SL and have Xcode 3.X.X. Would I be able to install Mac OS X onto my external Hard Drive and then would the MBP be able to boot and use this installation? I plan on using the 10.6.3 Install that came with my iMac, and then installing the software onto the partition etc. All the installation etc would be done on my iMac, all I want to do with the MBP is to boot from it? Is this possible?

Thanks in Advance

2. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

yes, you can install and use SL from an external drive. Just make sure to format it as OS X Extended journaled with a GUID partition. When turning on the computer (with the drive connected) hold down the option key and it will show a list of available drives to boot from

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

4. merrickdrfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks, and its a school computer, not mine so this is my only option really. I've got a developer license, so have got access to Xcode anyway, thanks for the help anyway! I'll try it next time i'm at school

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Then I'd use the fastest available interface you have, USB 2.0 is going to be slow.

6. merrickdrfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a firewire 800 drive, so i'll try with that. Thanks again for the advice!