External HDD connectivity with iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by James83448, Mar 15, 2016.

1. James83448, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016

James83448 macrumors regular

James83448

I've been trying to find out if I can connect a HDD and an SD card reader to an iPad, but I can't find this out.

Basically, I'm wanting to shoot a lot of video on an external camera, using an SD card, and then move the video clips from the SD card to the EHDD, freeing up space on the SD card.

I'd rather not go down the Android route with USB OTG, but may have to resort to this if I can't fulfil my needs with an iPad and some connectors?

I'm not, and will not be Jailbroken.

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

I'm 99% sure that it is not possible to connect a HDD to your iPad, and 100% sure that you won't be able to connect both that and an SD card reader at the same time. I would suggest exploring options such as the verbatim wireless mediashare which has both an SD card slot and a USB port for a HDD. Of course, it's wireless so it'll be slow - but it works without jail breaking. (I'm sure there are alternatives, but this is what I have so can recommend).

3. sparksd macrumors 6502a

4. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Did you read the Amazon review talking about its outdated firmware and lack of security while communicating with an external IP in China? Yowsa...

5. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I have a kangaroo PC which i connect to my ipad pro.
    • The Kangaroo PC has two USB connects
    • I use one to use my Ipad pro as the monitor display
    • I use the other to connect any HDD i need.
    I installed Itunes o the kangaroo PC if I need to do any transfers from HDD to Ipad.

6. Frisco2008 macrumors newbie

Frisco2008

I'm using a Kingston mobile wireless G2. It has a USB port for connecting to an HDD. An SD/micro SD slot for memory cards.

It also has a battery with 2x charge for phone and can serve as local wifi hotspot.

Cost me about $40 usd.

7. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and the f/w has been updated and I just use it as a local wireless device not connected to the Internet and with a strong password.

8. Davefevs macrumors member

Davefevs

I use a Sandisk Wireless USB stick with micro-SD, together with the Sandisk Connect app.

It works a treat, but importantly for me I can move .mov video files from my Panasonic Lumix to my IPP. A third party USB camera adaptor I had just copies them to camera roll as an image. I haven't tried the official Apple device, but I've read forums saying the same happened.

Obviously the Sandisk is wireless so a bit slow, but I'm not a professional (I'm barely an amateur) so it works for me.