External HDD Enclosure Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by teiresias, Nov 29, 2009.

1. teiresias macrumors regular

Hi all, well it seems I'm -- yet again -- in the market for another enclosure. I'm really getting frustrated with what seems to be horrible reliability of these things.

I had one of the dual-drive firewire enclosures from OWC that went belly up in just over a year. Just recently, a much cheaper dual-drive USB 2.0-only enclosure from MacAlly has decided to start disconnecting overnight and when I power cycle it it seems unable to reliably start at least one of the drives. Given the price differential between the two I'm not really sure there's any relevance to how much I pay and the quality and reliability of the thing. I check both drives with one of those very utilitarian USB adapters (the kind that are the barebones power and cabling that you see everywhere), and both disks mount verify fine under OSX with that setup, so I know it's not an issue with the drives.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to use? I have two 3.5" SATA 500GB drives. One of them I use for regular external storage off of my main iMac drive, the other I use as a Time Machine drive.

I was thinking of going with two single-drive enclosures this time, so that at least if/when they fail I'm risking one drive instead of both at the same time - and if I decide to go through the hassle of an RMA I could at least have one still functioning that I can use for the Time Machine drive.

Anyone, has anyone had better luck with these things than I have? Thanks!

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©