External HDD Failing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Glockron, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Glockron macrumors member

Hey

Over the last few weeks my LaCie Rikiki has been acting up. It has had issues copying files to my computer, always stopping at the same point in many different files. I know the files aren't corrupt, as I am able to open them directly from the ex-HDD without issues.

As I felt this may be a sign for an imminent HDD failure, I decided I needed a way to copy all the contents to my PC some other way - as regular copying wasn't working.

My PC didn't have enough empty room to house the full 250GB capacity of the drive, so I tried to repartition it down using EaseUS Partition Manager - so that I could create a .img of the data on the drive, without the empty space.

During repartitioning, an error occurred - and now the drive is completely blocked. Windows still recognizes is, and it turns up in "Computer". The capacity label is gone though, and I am unable to browse through it. It says that I must format the drive before continuing.

In the Partition Manager, everything looks fine. I can see the partition with my data - and I can see that it is pretty much full.

What can I do to get hold of my data now?

PS. Sorry for the long post.

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu